Monday, November 4, 2013

My Familiar to Strange Speech

Public speaking 7:45AM
November 4, 2013

Specific Purpose: To talk about a mission from the perspective of a war zone
Central Idea: The Mission is a War Zone
                                                                  At War With the Adversary

Introduction:  (Attention Getter) In 2009 I was drafted to fight in in the bloodiest war I had ever seen. I was told from the beginning that few who go come back the same, if they come back at all. I was determined to prove myself. I quickly received my orders and was shipped off to a base near headquarters where my training began.
Body:
1)      Main point: At the preparation center, we were required to wear our uniforms at all times with our names clearly visible.
a)      Each morning they would wake us up early, feed us a breakfast that was filling but hardly satisfying, then drill us throughout the day. Once a week a commander would come to instruct all the new recruits.
b)       The hardest part for many was adapting to the structure of military life. It was often difficult to communicate with our families and we were required to give up much for the battle at hand.
c)       Alas the time came when we were found ready to be shipped out. By bus and plane they transported us to remote parts of the world. I was far from ready but they sent me anyways. We were fighting an Enemy which none of us had ever seen before. The fear that so easily penetrated our hearts was astonishing.
2)      Transition: Quickly after arriving we were introduced to our war hardened general who would be directing our cause.
a)      Because of the size of the foes army, all of us where teamed up with an experienced soldier to be our infield instructor, then sent to different parts of the vast wasteland.
b)       Alone and behind enemy lines, our job was to rescue those who were prisoners of war and others who were missing in action. Every morning we would wake early and do some simple drills to get our minds going then go off to battle. Often the challenging part was knowing the difference between friend and foe.
c)        We had the ability to call upon the president at any time but his communication to us was often hazy and hard to interpret so we did our best.
d)      Hour after hour and day after day, we would labor. We often found that the enemy had published propaganda against us. Few locals where on our side and many did not trust us. But we had a secret weapon that saved us in many times of trouble.
e)      The most troubling times was when we located those we were sent to find and we would sneak them all the way to the border just to have them recaptured again.
f)       I will admit in that first trench I was unable to recover any of fellow soldiers.
3)      Transition: Months passed and I was ordered to abandon my efforts there and relocate. I did so but I was troubled that I had failed so much.
a)      I am amazed at the power of our president. Somehow he knew everything. Though he was never seen he found ways to give us help when we most needed it. He would find was to remotely disarm many of the jailers and grant us access to the prison cells that held our friends captive. Often Intel would come in the midst of a particularly bloody battle and the tides would swiftly change in our favor.
b)      Many times I wondered if I would ever have success, but slowly I began to find the key. The surest path was always with the help of the locals. At the beginning of my tour I would rarely use them but I learned how to gain their trust through them help the others.
c)       When we did find someone who was able to escape we had another solder inspect them to make sure they were who they claimed to be, then they would have to travel through a vast lake to return home.
4)      Transition/ Conclusion: Finally, the day came when I was asked to step down. I had many scars and had seen many battles.

a)      Though the war was continuing I was asked to return home and help prepare others to fight in my place. I was worn and tired, the rumors I had heard where true. The time seemed to slip by unnoticed. Near the end I often reflected on my time there, they were right. I had changed. In many ways I had become more hardened, but I had also learned to love even those who were lost and afraid. I was honorably discharged and asked to give a speech on all that I had witnessed. I now see things differently. [Note of finality] I am a new man ready to return to the battle on another day.

No comments: